Milltek De-Cat Power gains

Hi there,

Long time viewer, first time poster here...

I've just today ordered a Milltek Cat-back system (for £339 Including VAT Delivered incidentally, and it took me a while to find this price - ICJ performance if anyone's interested).

I'm going to have this system fitted on Wednesday, and have been doing a bit of research on this forum into the relative benfits of De-Catting a VR6. Considering that the cost seems to be c. £100 by the time the decat is fitted, I'd like to know that this is money well spent, as by my calculation, that is roughly 100 cans of Stella that I could have instead... ;)

My question therefore is as follows:

Does anyone on this forum have any qualified (i.e. RR) figures for the actual power increases resulting from a decat alone. I'm not really fussed if these figures are relating to a milltek exhaust, or to any other system, as chances are the results simply from decatting alone with no other modifications would be quite similar.

Incidentally - Moderators - **puts hand up childishly** Just an idea, but could you think about introducing a "Table of Results" for those folk who have before and after figures for the power mods that they have done - I appreciate that this would be far from 100% Accurate, but it would be a tremendously helpful guide to those setting out on the slightly hit and miss adventure that is n.a. power modding.

We sure can if ppl provide us with 'em!

You can get de-cats on e-bay for £38!!

I too got my milltek from ICJ, on a group buy about a year and a half ago, soon followed by the de-cat and a 6-1 mani (raceland) never looked back. Way to go if you ask me.

Incidentally - Moderators - **puts hand up childishly** Just an idea' date=' but could you think about introducing a "Table of Results" for those folk who have before and after figures for the power mods that they have done - I appreciate that this would be far from 100% Accurate, but it would be a tremendously helpful guide to those setting out on the slightly hit and miss adventure that is n.a. power modding.

[/quote']

I totally agree, although tying power gains down to individual mods might still be difficult because people usually get rolling roaded after a whole group of mods, e.g. Schrick Manifold + Cams, exhaust + cone filter etc. etc.

But I would like to get as many people as possible with modded VRs to post their rolling road plots here. It would really help people get some idea of what they can expect for their money when tuning a VR. I think I'll start a sticky thread on the subject....

Just a quick update for those of you who are interested, I settled in the end for this one from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STAINLESS-STEEL-DECAT-PIPE-VW-GOLF-VR6_W0QQitemZ200035861061QQihZ010QQcategoryZ38786QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Had it fitted yesterday, and all seems to be hunkydory. there is a small amount of noise from the pipe itself (it's single wall construction), but nothing ridiculous - and the effect it seems to have on the overall engine note over 4krpm is just stunning.

I actually think I might have made a couple of school-kids soil themselves as I drove past them yesterday. Should have seen them jump!