Starting problems driving me crazy!

Hi all

Having a small problem with my 92 Golf VR6 which is driving me mad, most times when I get to it and start the car up it takes about 5-10 secs to start which I feel can't be too good for the starter motor!

I have replaced the fuel pressure regulator and tried a new ICV to no avail, one thing which I feel it could be is the electrics, when I bought the car the alarm and immobiliser were disconnected (and still are) and the slowest windscreen wiper setting + n/s window don't always work.

Any tips on where I should start to diagnose this problem?

Many Thanks

- Ben

sounds like its taking a while for fuel to get in there.... maybe a weak pressure at the rail...

i had this problem but its probably differant to yours as its in a mk2. when i had the mk2 8v fuel pump, started staright away.... then changed to mk2 16v fuel pump and it took ages for it to start 1st time, but staright away the 2nd time.

the problem disappeared when i went charged, as i put the acumilater on the 16v pump (this is like a little reservour on the mk16v pump that holds fuel, keeps pressure up) and 4 bar fuel pressure reg.

the above may not be relative to you but what im tryin to say is, its prob fuel pressure related...

yeah could well be the one way valve in the fuel pump that keeps pressure in the line when switched off, this is to stop the fuel returning to the tank and taking a long time cranking for the fuel to build back up, i suppose an easyish way of find out is to run the car, turn it off and leave it over night, go back and disconnect the pipe off the fuel rail or filter, it should still have pressurised fuel inside, think leaky injectors give the same fault too.