Both full head light bulbs gone at the same time - what could cause this?

Hi

Just noticed when I put my head lights on I only have side/dip lights and full beam, but I don't have the normal full head lights. Both the bulbs are not on. Anyone else have this happen? What caused it? Could it be a fuse? Wheres the best place to get a new fuse..halfords? Or is it a vw part that I need?

Thanks for any help,

Matt

Ok I've had a check and the fuses seem ok so can only assume both bulbs have gone...one probably went recently and then the other. I have bought the bulbs from Halfords...they are halogen ones as per the chart they had in there.

Ok my question is what is the procedure for changing the main head light bulbs (they are the outer bulbs). The inner bulbs, which are the side light/dip lights and full beam are fine.

Do I have to take the whole unit out or is it much simpler than that?

Cheers

Yes all halogen bulbs are the same, like security lights etc., the grease increases the glass temp and nackeres it I think.

Bonnet up, release the clips holding the black cover on and pop it off and have a feel around, its quite easy, but it can be aquward to remove the covers due to lack of space!

Ok I have had a look and there is one large black cover (obviously holding a cluster of bulbs - can't tell which ones). There seem to be two clips at the top but can't see/feel any clips underneath so can't see how to release the cover. There is also what looks like a group of wires going to just one single bulb holder underneath this large black cover. What bulb is this? Is this the main head light bulb, or will the main head light bulb be in the large cluster above, accessed via the black cover? I have tried unclipping the single bulb underneath the black cover but even though I can press the clips inwards the bulb holder does not release... even with some force. I am not sure if just pushing the clips inwards would release it or do I have to twist at same time? (I have tried this too but doesn't seem to work.) However I need to know whether this single bulb is going to be the main head light bulb or whether it is in the large black holder/cluster. Thanks for any help locating it and how to release it. My car's a golf vr by the way - 1997 P reg.