My 96 OBD11 VR6 unmodified (apart from a panel air filter anyway) Golf has just failed the MOT on emissions. The CO reading on idle was massive - 5.7 or so. Put it on Vagcom and there's a fault code - "O2 sensor short to ground" Seems obvious enough, the O2 sensor is duff, but it was only replaced a few weeks ago, with the correct Bosch one, following the discovery on Vagcom that the original was produscing no signal at all. The replacement seemed to be working fine at the time.

Emissions test at 2500 rpm (or whatever the MOT calls for) is perfectly OK and, of course, it drives happily

O2 sensor output voltage at idle on Vagcom is around .4v to .45v Open the throttle a bit and goodbye voltage, it seemingly drops immediately to 0v. Close throttle and back to .45v ish. Beginning to wish I had my own gas analyser and an ocilloscope now!

I'm intending to check the signal voltage at the connector in the engine bay at some point. Would have done it tonight but I managed to pull the probe off the end of the +ve lead of the meter trying not to burn myself on the exhaust manifold (again)

Any ideas/suggestions? I guess I could try another sensor but I'm loathe to spend another £65 at this point. I was wondering about a duff ECU but everything else seems perfectly OK. Help!

Not an expert, but it sounds more like a wiring or plug fault to me. It's unlikely that the new sensor would be faulty (although not impossible) - especially if it's from Bosch.

You can't really get a good reading from the sensor with a voltmeter; it switches between about 0.1V and 1V a number of times a second - so even a digital voltmeter will tend to just show an average. You really do need an oscilloscope to check it - sorry!

Perhaps you could check the wiring between battery earth and the connectors in the plug and see if you can find where the power gets lost - maybe the wiring has cracked inside the insulation somewhere. Not going to be much fun - hence the gloomy prognosis from the mechanic!

Good luck though, hope you get it sorted.