I've kinda guessed one of my front wheel bearings is humming a bit louder now than it was, so time to get it done. My question is how do you know which one has gone? Its droning on when straight and turning right but not when i turn left.

I'm thinking passenger side as presure comes of that side when turning left.

Or as usual am i talking utter bollox

Craggsy, you're spot-on with your diagnosis.

Best to get them both done and use VAG bearings, they last a lot longer.

Had these done on my car and after a few rear ones wearing out too often I got VAG ones and they're great.

Hub has to come off so you'll need geometry doing afterwards.

Yep, correcto mundo fella. Mine is humming it's little head off at the moment. Its the near side one (passenger side) I find the best way to work out which one has gone, is to leave it untill it talks to you!! hehehe

It'll be the massive rims we all have that fooks them, Next will be the steering rack my friend!!! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a 1997 MkIII ex Japan in Feb 2005 with supposedly 60,000kms on the clock and within 2 months the nearside rear bearing needed replacing. In Apr 2006 the offside rear needed replacing. I was suspicious of the mileage of the car but whatever. The reason I'm intrigued is that when I was in the UK (I live in New Zealand now) my 1994 mk III GTI ran to 130,000 miles without a wheel bearing replacement.

My Japan import has been lowered.

Cheers :)