Well mate - 1st off u should bring it to a garage and get the thermostat replaced cost me about £50 inc labour and that sorted my problem. Might be worth ur while getting the fuse for the fan checked as it may have blown. Hope this helps

o.k mate think this might help gues you have checked fuses and all that. check fuses in fan relay situated below header tank check for corrosion to contact coz water from fillin header tank and over flow can cause these relays to biff up. they look tike a rectangle black box with a clear plastic cover over two 10 amp fuses usually some wd or contact cleaner does the job if not a new relay is £90.00 from vw. as for the thermostat they are not hard to do if you want to know how i will post some pics from my book.

If u have done all the checks above you could get a Neuspeed VR6 160 Degree Thermostat and Neuspeed uprated 3 Pole Fan Switch. I fitted these to my vr, when i had similar overheating problems. Fitted time about 1 hour max. You don't even have to undo all the pipes. While u r at it i would check that you are'nt loosing any coolant from thermostat housing. These have a tendancy to break. You can get a one from ebay, cheap. Remember to properly flush your system and to put the replacement thermostat in the same possition as the one u took out.

hi gents sorry to jump in I have recently changed to a lower temp thermostat and have seen cooler running temps but I tried testing the fan speeds 1 & 2 work ok when bridged but tried for the 3 speed (hovercraft mode) by bridging the black sensor from ther thermostat housing and nothing from the fan. Is that the correct senor for speed 3?

Plus whats this uprated 3 pole fan switch sound like I could do with one.

The fan cuts in earlier, and since your uprated thermostat works at lower temps its advisable to have one. I think on some cars you might have to make some modification to the plug to wire in properly as its a different shape on later vr's, but no biggy you can just use some car stereo "spades"(you crip a spade on the end of the wire, male at one end, female on the other, 4wires, your done), halfords do some. Hope im making sense.. :)

Cheers for that just2zang don't sound to bad thanks for explaining in the process of doing a full coolant system overhaul to bring running temps down might be a good idea to replace the radiator seeing as I need a new fan as i can't get the 3rd speed to kick in.

Hey

Thanks for the advice. I was looking at the box with the clear cover and there was a 20 amp and a 5 amp fuse. the 20 amp was blown so i replaced that and then there was a strip of metal connecting 2 screws 2 gether that was broken from the middle so i connected a wire from one screw to the other.(wat does this box controll) I havent checked if the fan runs or not with this fix but could it be the thermo switch as well?? Is there a way to see if the thermo switch works?? and what type of switch would i need (temperature wise) Lastly (i promise) the black box with the clear cover had a 20 amp and a 5 amp fuse not two 10 amp fuses. What should i do with this?

Thanks