hi just replaced the cables on my golf and i have a few probs?

1, the cables seem to long and ive had to use a m8 nut on both cables, this was why i changed them,

2, there is a spring type affair on the drivers side caliper on the handbrake arm but not on the passenger?

3, is this whjy the the passenger side is binding and not returning!

help MOT is this week

the spring is to help the caliper return to its stop and without this fairly sure thats its a fail . i would need to look in the book to double check . as for the brake binding that could be a number of things one could be the return spring missing, the caliper its self could be part seized this is not uncommon, the pads could be seized in the carrier. first thing i would do is try a spring . as u have new cables then i would remove calipers clean and lub the pads and carriers . let the cables off till they are slack and wind the pistons back in the calipers refit and pump the brake pedle 10 to 15 times with the engine runing then adjust the cables till the handbrake leavers just come off the stops . that is the correct way to set up the rear brakes and should be done each time the pads are changed . if the brake is still binding then i would say u have a caliper fault .