loose conection on ignition key

hi,

i wonder if any one could help i have a Lreg vr6 and when i put the ignition key in the stero some times comes on and sometimes not if i give ita wiggle it will come on.

Yestarday i went to euro parts and they gave me the part which i need it connects to the back of the barrel which then the wires connect to the back of, what i cant see is how the hell you get it out!!! can anyone help?? !sad

yes, that is called the ignition switch, to take it out there is a lengthy process, if you search on ignition switch you will find a recent post that explained the process, you will at one stage need a special VAG tool to remove the barrell. steering wheel/airbag etc also come off./

If you want to change the ignition barrell you can do it without any special tools, ya dont need to remove the steering wheel just the cowling. Its not easy but can be done, you just need to know where to drill the barrell to be able to release the pin holding the barrell in. Did it on mine. Maybe not be the true vw way but sometimes when needs must!!!

Sorry to hijack! I have the same problem on mine, it started off OK but getting a proper pain now!! Been putting it off cos of the "lengthy process", but i heard about the easy way too! Can you tell me more about the drill process please?

you need a small enough drill to get in directly above the barrel if not you might have to drop the steering rack, you have to remove %-6 the cowling and pop the metal casing off of the key side, you should now be able to se a small gap near the top, now the difficult part, you need to line up by eye the right corner of the gap and measure 12 millimetres going away from you that should be the spot to drill, try to use a small 1/8 bit, drill lightly just enough until the presure gives cos you only want to get through the casing, once this is done you need a small piece of metal (an even smaller drill bit will do) to stick in the hole, if youve drilled in the right place you will feal a bit of spring in there, you need to press down hard and turn your ign. key forward a notch at the same time pulling out and this should remove the barrel, good luck its one of those "easy when you know how jobs" 8)

!lol a few, worst case scenario you're gonna be left with loads of holes in your casing, what your aiming for is a small flat piece of metal that has spring to it fitted on the side of the barrel and is set in a recess inside the casing, so when you have drilled the hole the idea is to push down on the piece of metal out of the recess to release the barrel, which also means no damage (other than the casing) so yes you can just slot it back in after with no problemo

also i agree that it would be a good idea to try an source a second hander even just to see what your dealing with