Hi all,

Sounds like I have a wheel bearing on the way out on the drivers side (not sure if its front or rear yet). At least I think its the bearing! There tends to be a bit less/more whirring when I turn to the left/right.

However its only started happening recently and I don't hear it everytime I drive.

My question is....is it ok to run on it for a while or should I get it sorted ASAP?

Cheers for any info.

Deano.

I'd put money on it being a rear wheel bearing, they allways go on Golfs and should be considered a service item -normally last about 60k miles. If its the rear one best get both sides replaced

Get it done soon for peace of mind you really wouldn't want to deal with the consequences of it seizing :o . Unless your unluckey it should be okay for a bit though

Yep I'll second what Jonno said, very common. Cheap and easy to fix though! I've done 2k miles on several of mine after they've started droning withh no problems. Quite often there is no play or visible damage to these bearings when they wear, droning is often the only symptom.

Rears are any easy job if you've got access to a bearing press! It is possible to do it without but I didn't fancy it myself - you have to v carefully tap the new bearings in with a hammer and the old bearing

I got mine from GSF and seem fine, its a personal choice thing - some people only buy genuine vw.

One thing worth noting is that the bearing press into the rear discs, so if your discs are getting tired replace them at the same time or you'll have to fork out on bearings twice

I think it cost me about