Ive had my car in the garage for a week due to doing a few bits on it. I had it started a week ago due to getting a new battery, it started fine but then soon died without choking. I thought it was the low fuel level so i put some fuel in the car from a canister but now it only turns over but wont start. I have put in new spark plugs and distributor cap when it was first started. Please help, need to take it for an MOT tomorrow.! &|

Are you supposed to get a buzzing noise from the fuel pump as it seems kind of quiet to me.......it def has fuel going to the fuel rail as i have checked the hose and it is coming through fine..messed about with the relay and still no joy.....anyone happen to be in the Wycombe area in Buckinghamshire with a vag cable???

!lol

I have also found there was a connector loose which is to the water pump i think? It is located on the right hand side of the engine as you look into the bay. The connector goes ito the top and when i connect it is is making a whirring/buzzing noise......could that cause the problem and is it normal to make that noise?

Change the relay back for the old one first it may be that the relay was insecure in its holding... then check for the fuel pump priming as you turn on the ignition, yes, as you are about to start the car you should hear the pump buzz/hiss very quietly if its loud then the pump maybe on its way out. I suggest going back to the old realy only because in your previous postings you mention that It starts...seems a logical place to start...

the lights will dip because the starter is drawing so much current from the battery. dont turn it over with the lights on as that will drain the battery unnecessary amounts.

the fact that there is fuel at the engine makes me doubt that the pump is not working, you should hear the pump buzzing when the engine turns over.

you need to check that there is actually a spark, if it isnt even trying to fire then its likely there is no spark.

Errr...But Why? The starter turns the block over, therefore if as you say the engine turns over then the starter is working... regards the lack of spark, are you sure you reconnected everything, i.e there is an earth wire that should bolt onto the Dizzy, probably on one of the screws that hold the cap on, if this is missing then "No sparky". Take the plug leads off individually and put an old plug in and see if theres a spark by earthing it to the block, i.e touch the block using insulated pliers otherwise you'll get a mighty kick out of it.... !dodge :@

Check the Cap to see that the centre Carbon electrode is still in place, if not then "No Sparky"... &|

Failing this then look for a hall sender , an amplifier that enhances the spark, it maybe faulty, if so then again "No Sparky"...

Try that and see how you get on.... :P