M8, i was just about to post the same thread. I too am getting that noise, only i've had for ages with no one able to tell me what it is. It even started to sound like it may be coming from the cams but thats probably my paranoya setting in. Mines really loud though and ruins the noise from the zaust. I take it this should be sorted soon as? &|

Mines OBD 1 by the way' date=' but wouldn't have thought that would make much difference. Any ideas on possible cost?

[/quote']

r u sure your tappets arnt noisey?? personally id get 1 2nd hand rather than new try volksmine.co.uk they may be able to help i bought the belt for about

Tappets are noisey too, but have been told by VW techie that it isn't a big deal. However, the noise is like a loud schimming? if that makes any sense, from what may be the tensioner. It is very loud as its all you can hear standing away from the car. It appeared after the new chains were put on. I have very little time to get it sorted which is why its been left so long, don't suppose anyone has any idea on labour times do they? Thanx for advice pal and sorry Alun for stealing the thread m8. :)

vrvirgin mate yours sounds like a noisey waterpump i had mine changed last month and all simptoms was the same as yours,the sound is lound enough but is hard to explain but check to see if the belt is wobbling on idle and if there any play in the waterpump pully?

ni-golf get that belt changed asap as from your photo that belt looks pretty cracked and you dont want that breaking on you while on your 100 mile trip, jay

!grr Oh dear, not good at all, sorry to hear that matey. &| think i'm gonna get a new water pump and if required a new tensioner (not sure if they come together or not). !dodge Do u guys reckon it's worth getting from GSF rather than the stealers, and could anyone sort me out with some part numbers please. Finally, i can get round to doing something about this noise. Thanx everyone for all your help, much appreciated. Cheers Nel. :):):)