Got a slight problem, not to bad at the moment, but would like to sort it before it gets worse.

My car has been running very nicely of late, but I parked it up on wednesday night, and did not go to use it again unitl saturday morning. It started first time (as allways) and I had to run down this little dirt track before coming to the main road, when I pulled out on to the road, I had to give it some pedal to get in a smallish gap and nothing happened, I put it into 2nd gear and it just went chug, chug, chug, Bang!!!! and conked out. it started again straight away but just had no power and sounded like it was not firing on all cylinders. If you put your foot down it just backfires!! Once it had warmed up it was fine, and felt back to normal.

I just put this down to the fact it had been sat in the wind and rain for 3 days without starting, however, it happened again last night, and this morning. I have just been out to check again and its doing it again.

Any ideas guys/girls??

Thanks

Jimbo.

Did you rev it beyond about 4500 rpm when cold ?

I rarely do this for obvious reasons but found my VR gets spluttery and only responds to a very small amount of throttle if I rev it too high when cold. A mile or two later and you can put your foot down again without grinding to a halt.

I've never spent too much thought on the subject, becasue I know I shouldn't make the engine spin that fast when cold anyway, but I'd be interested to hear if this is a feature / fault with the VR. Mine's an ODB2 (1997) model - what's yours?

Hi Guys,

Firstly thanks for your replies.

I allways let my car warm up properley before putting my foot down, but on this occasasion I did not have a choice. I have checked plugs, leads etc...... All seems fine. MAF is new, fitted it a couple of months ago.

Silverline, funny you should mention the water. I did have to go through several large deep puddles going up the dirt track(no Jokes :) )...................

Its getting VAG commed tonight, so hopefully that will help.

1996 highline OBD2

Love it, but its not very well :(

Cheers

Guys.