Drilled air box and K&N. Any good??

I wanna get an induction, mainly for the noise! Been reading the many threads on the forum and people talk about kits clogging up, making the car run poorly and loss of power amongst other things. Someone said drilling the air box and putting in a K&N panel filter would also do the trick but wouldn't have the draw backs.

What I really want to know is is it a decent alternative to a kit? And will I get a decent sound from going down this route or should I go for an induction kit despite the problems and the added expense? Like I said, main objective is a decent sound, but I don't wanna get that and have other hassle!

Mark

K&N will give U a little, but useful boost.. but DONT drill the airbox !!

All drilled airboxes do is suck hot air from the engine bay and due to the laws of thermodynamics.. you'll see a power DROP :( ... you need dense, cool air, so you'll need to add a cold air feed from the outside of the car. The usual method for this involves collecting air from the front bumper and bringing it to the airbox via a flexible tube (the thin alloy flexy normally)...

I'd strongly reccomend loosing the airbox tho and going for a cone filter, again with a cold air ram feed... the sound from it is so totally awesome :D... the only thing I can think that sounds like is is a Porsche 911... ;)

The VR6 has some nice prefitted bumper grilles which are just begging to be used for the cold air feed collection too :)

And one more effect I noticed from the fitting of a cone filter... throttle response was WEEY up on the standard box, but mine being an OBD1 car appears to benefit from any improvement in the induction system, as it appears a tad restrictive on earlier cars

I drilled mine and it did make a slight improvement to induction noise. K&N filter panel fitted.

I just cut a hole in the bottom right of the airbox and ran a flexible hose down to the bumper grills as mentioned. You do have to remove the carbon cannister though to do this. (use the search to find out how to do this). I then removed the cone from the top half of the airbox and overall it gives a nice induction note without being OTT which you get with cone filters.

Al in it cost

yeah, it will give a crisper throttle response, but you wont get the induction roar, if you want induction roar, then simply drill the side that faces the wing...it does have a air intake pipe there so....

i still think you should do it properly and get a BMC CDA, its the best money can buy in the induction department...with its CAI.