Okay does anyone know if the Mk3 Golf's are fully galvanised and if so, what year they became so?

I have a couple of rust patches and according to my manual if the bodywork is fully galvanised then I can get it repaired under warranty up to 11 years. Other wise it is 6 years and I am on a 97 P so that obviously is not happening!

Cheers.

well one is in the rear door below the rubber seal around the hinge mechanism. the second is on the bottom of the other rear door, and i found another under the window rubber of that same rear door as it was pushing the seal slightly.

Not to sure about the galvanised thing but I did take my vr back to vw when it was under warranty over the door seals rusting in the usual place.....my car is a 97 with full vw history but the guy who does claims informed me that vw would not class this under warranty as its on a seam...hope you have better luck than I did as they tend to use every trick in the book to get out of doing it.... if you do have any joy though, could you give me the dealership's number as I?ll be getting in touch with them too :P;)

Yes its true you need FVWSH and also you need to be able to literally push your finger through the rust to even begin a warranty claim. Tommy is correct they'll try everything to avoid doing any warranty work as I found when I had my mk4. The 12yrs thing is a little misleading really as my mk4 was 3yrs and a week old but they wouldn't touch it :( :(

• 2 weeks later...