Help me troubleshoot my 24v ...

Hello to anyone tuning in.  A few months ago, I bought an 03 gli with a vr6 that was locked up because it had run out of coolant.  I only wanted the transmission and the interior.  Well, I would up not needing the transmission, so I'm sitting here with a 'decent' gli that has overheated.  The car would not turn over when I brought it home.  I was under the car today, checking the fans, for another car, and I decided to put a wrench on the crank bolt to see if I could work it loose.  It took me a while, but I did get it freed up, and could turn it with little resistance.  I felt a surge of excitement, and I decided to put the plugs back in and see if I could actually start it.  When I bought the car, the plugs were lying on the wiper cowl, along with the coil packs.  The plugs had likely been out for a year, easily.  I put everything in its place, and put a charger on the battery.  I am now able to get the car to crank, but the battery is no good.  It will crank good for about 2 seconds, and then runs down very, very quickly.  The car turns over, but will not start.  I have a cheap bluetooth scanner, but I'm not seeing any codes.  I can't hear the fuel pump, but, it may be priming, I don't know.  I don't have a compression gauge, so I don't know what condition  the rings are in.  I shot a little starting fluid in the intake, and it acted like it wanted to hit, but never started, not even for a second.  Then the battery just can't do any more after a couple of seconds.  I need to get a good battery, but what else do I need to know?  Give me your thoughts, please.   Should this thing have hit with starting fluid?

Update ...     

Today I pulled the cover off of the fuel pump access under the back seat.  I made doubly sure I broke the harness connector when I took it off.... ugh... I checked for voltage on the connector when opening the driver's door as well as when I was cranking the engine.  Nothing.  When the engine cranks, the screen on the meter changes, but the numbers are not readable.  Remember, the battery is 'very' bad and barely cranks at all, even with the charger on it.  On a positive note though, when I put voltage directly on the fuel pump pins, it ran very quietly and smoothly.  I pulled the fuel supply line from the fuel rail and pumped a good deal of fuel out of it.  I checked my #28 fuse and I swapped the fuel pump relay under the dash with a known good one from another car,  but no fuel pump action.  The 163 fuse on top of the battery is good.  Oh yeah, I checked the fuel pump harness ground, and it checked good.  I have not checked for voltage at the fuel pump relay harness yet.  Any thoughts?  I'm starting to worry about the ECU.