Glad there is a forum not just for Volkswagens (have not found any active) but for the great VR6 powered Volkswagens. Thank you for making joining easy and look forward to have folks along for the journey.

Back in the Spring, my friends talked me into getting a Volkswagen VR6 for a daily driver (long story). I left modern long ago as require a mechanic and they said not many things on a Volkswagen that can't be done at home. So, we found a Lagoon Blue 2002 Jetta estate with $3,000 in recent receipts, most for a head job for $1,700. However, none thought to have a pre purchase inspection... Well, the poor gal was badly molested. The worst was the RTV sealing every surface in copious quantities and cost me about $1,000 in repairs (if want can list the numerous other niggly things that had to be sorted). Mechanic is honest and actually because he loves the VR6 so much, he spent an entire day trying to solve an ECU issue and charged me nothing. He has even put on a couple easy parts for free and helped with hatch struts over the cellular. Then an injector quit early Summer, mechanic told me VR6s don't last more than 180,000 miles (just ticked over 170,000), and being a Student, should fix and right after sell. Didn't have the bread, so sat all Summer. Then my Dad and I were talking, turns out his '86 Chevrolet Cavalier without A/C isn't going to work for next Summer, so offered him use and he accepted. Only thing is he is out of State so will have to bring back for that, but he doesn't mind. Even more, wants to drive it back rather than have it shipped. So with that, decided to keep, then just got the injector replaced (turned out the electrical connector was broken).

However not all peachy keen, still some things to work out. Tuesday when the speed sensor comes in, she will be going on the lift for a front suspension check, as have a vibration that gets nasty quickly above 105K.M.H.. Hopefully nothing major, but if it is the strut mounts, tempted to upgrade, as LOVE cornering at good clip.

Over all, thinking one drive, why couldn't someone keep a modern vehical going for longer, especially if the electronics stay available? With the VR6 following, bet has a better chance, including the engine which don't see why it couldn't be repaired or replacing. Now looking into learning how to flash the ECU, at least so can disable the door locks locking automatically, having the alarm go off half the time you start is so annoying.

Just filled up today and got a good 20MPG despite the mostly city driving, bad alignment, and learning how to drive efficiently.

Questions:
Is the build sheet available though a resource? 
If so, where?
Is VAGCOM the only option for setting comfort parameters, or would Lemmiwinks be able to? 
The reason I ask is because immediately when I get in, the car automatically locks the doors, then when I turn the key to start, honks the horn. I at least like to not have the doors lock automatically.
Better, can one at home eliminate the immoblizer or we must pay a whole pile of money for a tuner to do it?
How good are the estates handling a trailer? Know the Mercedes 300 estate I had until some woman drove into the back of it was real good, but those are heavier than a Volkswagen. Plus, they have hydraulic suspension. Concern is without that the back end quickly get saggy and hard to handle. My estates have to work hard to earn their keep hauling dogs and building materials.

Thank you all in advance for and advice or help.