Clutch ever so slightly playing up...knackered really!

Hi folks,

Just driving home today from a bit of shopping and the clutch pedal travel became weirdly slack and the biting point ended up being quite a bit lower than normal...

Anyways...it finally went about 10 minutes after it first started to go a bit funny and now the pedal is stuck firmly to the floor and wont budge at all.

Now I'm not a world beating mechanic but even I know that that's not how it should be so I'm having a stab in the dark that the clutch is buggered!

Unfortunately the garage isn't next door but is only a few minutes from where the car is...couple of questions,

Would it be possible to start the car in gear (1st/2nd?) and drive it to the garage or would it be a recovery jobby?

Also how much will I be looking at roughly for a replacement clutch (if it's that at fault!)?

Any help and assistance anyone can shed will be very much appreciated.

BTW It's a 97' P reg with high mileage and no record of having had a new clutch fitted (I've had it almost 3 years)

Quick update on my clutch woes...

Good news is that I managed to start it in gear and drive (slowly) to the garage and dump it outside for them to push it inside when they had time.

There's actually no bad news as they phoned to tell me that it looks like the pedal assembly gubbins has broken...been quoted £65 + VAT so not as much as I was dreading.

But...won't be done until Monday (or started I should say!)

More to follow.