Improve shift feel?

Hi Guys,

I know people ask this a fair bit but I feel like I have done everything I can with the 02A shifter to try and improve it..

So, I have a corrado shifter, just because this came with my engine (in a mk3), when trying to find the source of the crap feel I tried a mk3 shifter and made no difference apart from the internal shifter being taller.

So anyway, I have replaced every bush within the shifter, I have a gruven short shifter bracket and new bearings in the tower. The big nut on the shifter tower is done up all the way.

The shifter just feels crap, literally no feel, it goes into first and the knob physically moves itself over to what looks the 3rd position. I put it in 2nd and it's like it is in 4th. I put in 5th and it looks like 4th, so the knob just seems to want to centre itself with not much "slot in" feel whereas a friends totally original VR6 feels acceptable and the gear knob is pretty much stuck in place..

What else could be wrong?! The only thing I think I may try if I can get hold of one, is try a new shift tower.. I'm thinking the prongs that select the gear could be worn... Does this happen?

Thanks for any advice