i've just had an uneventful 90 mile trip down to the coast.

turn the car off and come to restart about an hour later. it wont start it tries to fire but just wont catch.

left it for a few hours and still no joy.took off the fuse panel to feel for the fuel pump relay clicking on ignition and the car started and has started ok since.

i think i made a big mistake buying this car problems to date include a grille held in more by luck than judgement.i filled it up with fuel and its p****** out from underneath the car.strangely it had 3/4 tank in it when i bought it and it wasnt leaking then.also the guage does not read full when it clearly is.a massive flat spot/hesitaion at 2k (sort of aware of this when i got it but it seems to be getting worse)

does anyone know the mph per 1000rpm in fifth for a 93 vr6 golf.i only ask because the speedo seems to be wildly inaccurate.

whilst checking various electrical connections i seem to have found an abundance of electrical tape and it would appear edward scissorhands was the last person to have touched the elctrical side of things

back to the original problem could i have been lucky and it was just a loose relay or does anyone recognise the symptoms as something more serious?

it better get me home or its being relayed to its final resting place for cremation

cheers

al

i'm going to try a new fuel pump relay. it seems weird that it started as soon as i started wiggling with the relays. maybe someones been messing in that area and had knocked it or it had just worked loose.

with all the other problems i think i'll leave it in the capable hands of matt and chris at dd.

they've never let me down.cant be any worse than whoever did the work to date !sad

anyways ive found another problem. car interior is stinking of petrol on overrun.its doesnt smell when on the motorway and on the throttle but if you lift off the car stinks to high heaven of petrol.

oh dear !sad

so i've heard,but matts helped me alot in the past with no problems so i'll carry on regardless.

perhaps where this car is concerned i should have listened to the people telling me to avoid it like the plague.

it was a little naive of me too think that the car would be problem free considering the work done and money spent. i didnt expect so many problems so soon this was only the second time the car has left my driveway.

in about 30 odd dubs over the years ive finally found the lemon ~:( .

moral of the story dont buy a car from a forum member/entusiast/owners club member. enthusiasm and a fistfull of receipts for parts dont count for sh1t if they haven't been fitted properly ~:(