What is a good affordable turbo kit that would fit my 98' Jetta GLX?

I figure there's no place better to ask such a question. I'm 18 and this is my first car. I drove my dad's Subaru WRX for awhile and really enjoyed it. He put in a bigger turbo, got it tuned and made it a lot faster. He really enjoys Volkswagen aswell but seeing as how it's an import car and an older model it's not as Common in the United States, especially in the VR6.

My car is a lot faster than your average daily driver, but it's dirt stock. Only replacing parts that have gone out over the years of me and my dad owning it. (Tires, Brake rotors, Brakes, Struts, Performance exhaust, Air filter, O2 sensor, etc...) It has 220k miles on it. I'm just wondering if it's even worth it to put a turbo kit inside? And a ballpark estimate on what it would cost. There's obviously a huge community and I'd really appreciate some opinions. Thanks!

-Alec

There's a few places in the states that do full kits for vr6's

Bahn brenner spring to mind. Have a look on their site.

Black forest industries too.

You'll be around $3-4000 for an off the sshelf kit. Unsure what sort of management you get with the kits.

On a car with those miles, I'd be tempted to fully strip and rebuild the motor. For piece of mind. Which probably adds another $500-1000 considering you'll need a new headgasket and headbolts for a turbo's set up.

Then add the price of a clutch possibly..

Give the guys at those sites an email. They'll know what they are talking about!

Hope that helps a bit:)

speak to bill schimmel at schimmel performance too, he really knows his stuff and you can chat to him about your goals, budgets e.t.c. When budgeting a turbo you have to take in other factors too. upgraded mounts to cope with the extra torque and vibrations? bigger brakes? lines? clutch? exhaut sizes and configuration, boost controllers and everything else to consider.