There are many threads on the topic.  Most of them are not that current.

I placed it in this section because my question is overall performance, tuning and ongoing costs after the build.

Goal is round 450 whp with a longitudinal 01e tranny.  Standalone ecu.

Plan to get a built engine but having a challenge between the 12v and 24v.  I can see pros and cons to both.

Thanks in advance

Steven

Stand alone pants, oem ecu far better. Newer the engine/ecu, the more advanced the features are but then it depends on the mapper and/or what parts you are using - it would be pointless mapping in the variable resonance manifold features of the ecu if you changed to a SRIM! Etc.

Costs roughly the same - you pay for what you get.

450hp - either engine - ARP rod bolts, head studs, spacer plate and if your engine is in bits then new rings, bearings etc, stock rods have done 700+hp, pistons have been known to blow but older engines need refreshing and tolerances renewing which would more likely explain the cause rather than having to upgrade to new pistons - does help though if you want to negate the spacer route.

If money was no object, I would personally use an FSI R32 but that's only because of the sheer scale of map functions in the ecu compared to the older ones - either 12v or 24v would do you for 450hp, better/full VVT on the newest 24v but depends on the map you use!