I did my headgasket about 4-5 months ago and its decided to leak coolant!

i had the head skimmed nd what not, there was quite a bit of corrosion in the coolant gallery's due to the fact it had been run on just water before i got my hands on it. Im going to get the block skimmed now to hopefully fix the problem but is there anything else i should do? anyone had this issue before? 

5A24B2C9-B1BD-4F67-A38E-E3A19CEB0A40_zps

AE528191-5456-4B4E-B12C-CC1D64D0CE81_zps

4224365D-494F-4106-9D39-99696CA3F25C_zps

82DB03BA-C057-466C-8411-6086352E3D6D_zps

Edited by vdub_pete

ive had my car 5 years and its doing it, this is usually the first point of HG failure, im taking my head off and getting it fully rebuilt. are you sure its torqued down correctly?

gask_zps0ae38bf8.jpg

Edited by cpfcvr6

thats what mine looked like before i did the gasket i also had combustion pressure in cooling system hence why i did it but it wasn't leaking like this.

It was torqued down to the gasket makers spec, anyway its all off now getting the block skimmed hoping that will fix it 

thats what mine looked like before i did the gasket i also had combustion pressure in cooling system hence why i did it but it wasn't leaking like this.

It was torqued down to the gasket makers spec, anyway its all off now getting the block skimmed hoping that will fix it 

are you doing it yourself?

see your in new zealand!!

Yea man doing it myself pulled the engine out with out a hoist on my own to lol. Did not do my back any good at all lol even with everything removed from the block its still heavy as. 

Yea living the dream... Not lol the dub seen is pretty much non existent over here and parts, don't get me started on parts unless you're prepared to pay main dealer prices then all good but good quality aftermarket stuff there's none of, i've imported most things from USA or UK.  

Quite common to leak there to be honest.... Did you torque up the head bolts in the right order / sequence? Another thought is that the head could be warped if it's over heated (worst case scenario but always advisable to give)it a sk

Club Chairman

Quite common to leak there to be honest.... Did you torque up the head bolts in the right order / sequence? Another thought is that the head could be warped if it's over heated (worst case scenario but always advisable to give)it a sk

Club Chairman

Yea but not after 5 months of doing the headgasket?? Yea head was torqued to the elring gasket specs. Head was skimmed as i was having issues with combustion pressure in the cooling system. They had to take 10 thow 0.25mm i think off to make it flat again. Is it possible that taking that much off may have upped the compression a bit and maybe caused the coolant leak??

• 4 weeks later...