headgasket going on vr6 - what else should i replace once cylinder head is off?

the headgasket is weeping coolant down the block on the 2.8 golf vr6, ive cleaned it thinking its the core plug but its not. what else should i replace once its all off?? all the chains and guides have been done 3 years ago! compression test is still showing 160psi and there is no water mixing with oil etc.........

new headbolts - ARP??

genuine headgasket

i get a bit of oily smoke when i start it up sometimes but it clears straight away, guides im guessing??

may as-well replace everything necessary while its apart!

regards

gask_zps0ae38bf8.jpg

Edited by cpfcvr6

If youre going to have it in bits again in the future if you have FI plans then ARP are going to be worth the money as they are re usable, otherwise a set of elring or febi headbolts will suffice for about £20, a genuine set is about £120!

If you can find a victor reinz headgasket outside of VW get it, otherwise go to VW for the gasket too.

Youll need at least an upper inlet manifold gaskets and 2 exhaust downpipe gaskets too, depending on where you split them.

It would be a good time to do the water pump, crack pipe and oil cooler pipes, if not the oil cooler too.

Its also the classic first failure point as theres no bolts on all sides of the galleries on that side of the block

like this

IMG_0572_zpsc6ddb495.jpg

Edited by Lukey.

thanks lukey, there is nothing wrong with any other pipes or hardware etc but i might change the crack pipe as it will be a front end off job again.

ive got a set of new inlet manifold gaskets in the garage and a 6 branch exhaust so gaskets for the exhaust are not a concern.

i can strip it all down no problem, its just the timing im not sure about as ive never done a vr6 before!

would a standard genuine vw headgasket and standard bolts be ok for a stage 2 charger running 300bhp?

Edited by cpfcvr6