Khare's Highline Project

Well here is my 1997 vr6 highline. I'm treating this car as my grown up car, tasteful mods and eventually turbo conversion.

I've owned it for a couple of weeks and already I've blown £500 in bits and bobs, including coilovers and various suspension bits.

Today I went about fitting the coilovers and poly bushing the front end, however the offside front wishbone bolt rounded off so I didn't quite manage to poly bushes both sides, just one. I'll order a new bolt off vw tomorrow and finish the job next Sunday.

Car was bought standard and always kept in top condition, pretty untouched, and it showed. The underside was very much factory fresh, no bolts had ever been taken out as they were all quite tough and rusted in. Got there in the end though, just. Here are some pics.

7y6u8a3u.jpg

qapynu4u.jpgyzuba4et.jpgtygeza7a.jpg

And what on earth did vw think when they made the vr6 sump? To get to the front wishbone bolt you need to undo the rear mount and lift the engine up....really? Effort!

upevezem.jpg

Some other pics of what I've done so far.

baqy7ane.jpg

e6y7a8y8.jpgve2utu4u.jpg

More updates next week!

Nice one khare, I bet it'll drive nice with the bushes and new suspension. What's the general consensus of opinion on these cda filters then? I understand the concept well enough but noticed someone slating the cda as it was restrictive (on tt Audi) I expect it sounds nice but do you actually get any performance gains. Can you feel the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does indeed drive much nicer than before, even though I've still got to polybush the front drivers side and rear axle. Once that's done and I find another team dynamics pro race wheel to add to the 3 I've got, then it'll handle just like my old 16v did. Would like to get some arb's and upper and lower strut braces in the near future too.

With regards to the bmc, I can't say I've noticed huge gains to be honest. It does sound amazing however. Deamon tweeks sells 3 types of bmc, with 3 different outlet bore sizes (small engines, high capacity engines and v6 and v8's). Maybe audi requires the larger bore? Not sure. We'll find out next month, I'm putting it on the JKM rollers on the 26th so we'll see what she puts out!

That's Interesting. Yeah I bet it sounds sweet. Mines going on rollers at amd on May 11th. It's standard except for magnex cat back. I'd like to give it a good service before going on the rollers, new plugs and leads a must! Perhaps I ought to try those poly bush too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poly bushes make a huge difference. Huge. The front end feels very tight with them on and the steering feels very much connected to the wheels. Rear end is essential as well, on rubber it feels soft, again poly bushes tighten it up and rear end feels stable and predictable in hard cornering.

• 1 month later...

Put the car on the rollers at JKM today, very happy with results!!!

20140426_094418_zpsfpf40k2l.jpg

Other than the BMC CDA and ported throttle body done by me, the car is standard engine wise, so now I know it's healthy inside!!! I didn't even do my usual pre dyno service of plugs and oil, so once I do the plugs, oil, leads and fit the lovely milltek decat I have in the shed, I should be looking at 200hp  :) Roll on the good times!

• 1 month later...

Not updated in a while, not much has been happening. Bought a new alloy to replace the one that I broke in the accident, also bought a part worn tyre, Falken 452, I really rate them although lots of people don't. Wheels are now on the car and it's looking fantastic, got the car mojo back!

Fitted up new balljoints, new tie rod ends and finished polybushing the front axle so front handles as it should. Next up is rear polybushes, hockey puck front engine mount and exhaust system, as well as a full service, still yet to give it one!!

2014-05-30084624_zps15aaf4fc.jpg

2014-05-30175330_zpsbaee6c11.jpg

2014-05-30175338_zpscc6b229e.jpg