I thought about that this morning, just using some washing powder detergent and giving it a soak and a rinse through, but for the sake of a few quid I may as well get the proper detergent cleaner. 

The kit's have oil in them for re-oiling the filter after it's been cleaned too, I'm not 100% sure what the purpose of oiling them is, whether it helps catch dirt or helps the air flow, I don't know but I'll give it a go anyway.

Think I'll give the K&N kit a shot!

Is the bmc a dry or a wet filter? If it's a dry filter all you need is soapy warm water and let it dry. If it's a wet filter then you need the appropriate cleaning kit, which will require a re-oiling once the filter is dry. The wet filters harm the maf.

Is the bmc a dry or a wet filter? If it's a dry filter all you need is soapy warm water and let it dry. If it's a wet filter then you need the appropriate cleaning kit, which will require a re-oiling once the filter is dry. The wet filters harm the maf.

Not sure if it's a wet or dry filter. Its a BMC CDA, not sure about the internal filter, I figured they were all the same and just needed cleaning and re-oiling.

I thought it was a dry kit as the last 2 I've had have been bone dry from new ?

Thinking about it mine was also dry, although I didn't check. 

Just wash with warm soapy water and let it dry naturally, don't get a hair dryer on it. As I said, oil will kill all MAF sensors.