Sorry for another " Will these wheels fit " post but here's my dilemma. 

I have had my VR6 for almost a year now and just starting to make some modifications. 

I've just fitted A Koni lowering kit which has dropped it roughly 30mm from standard,

I picked up a set of 17" wheels last week as I thought they were a good price. The trouble is, looking at the wheels next to the car I can't work out if they're going to fit once I've got tyres on them! 

The wheels in question are 17 x 7.5  and ET 55 which seems like a big internal offset to me! 

I don't want to go spending a few hundred quid on tyres and then find that they don't fit well or it handles crap!

Anyone got anything similar on their Mk3?

Any advice appreciated, Cheers!

Is your suspension coilover or normal thinner shocks? I have coilovers which makes their diameter a fair bit more, with ET43 17x7.5 and 205 tyres. When my FPR went and I had to get recovered the seatbelt material wheel straps could barely get between the wheel and the shock. This is my only experience with different offset on this car, but I can tell you that i wouldnt be able to get them on, they would foul.

It's not coilovers, they're Koni STRT shocks and H&R springs. 

I think you're right though, not sure I'll get them in there without a pretty big spacer. 

I might get an old tyre stuck on one of the wheels and try it on. Otherwise I might have to shift the wheels on and get something that definitely will fit. 

If im honest on 17s the vr may handle crap anyway, but if you want them on then the tyre width is 8.07 inches and the wheel 7.5, so test fit your wheel and add 0.57 inch overhang, see how close that sits to the strut without the tyres on.

shouldnt really catch on the wider part of the strut but the test fit that way you should see....

I'll try a wheel on there at the weekend then and see how it looks for space. I really don't want to screw up how the car drives though so I might try and shift the wheels on and get a set of 16"s then!

Cheers Lukey, I just think thats a bit too low profile for me, I had P-zeros on my old Volvo that size and it wasn't a nice ride! 

I have koni coilovers on mine and add to add a 5mm spacer on the rear to stop them touching as did a friend of mine with a different make coilover 205/40/17 is the best tyre size keeping the rolling radius the same or as near as. With your offset you will need bigger spacers but they will fill the arch nicely

Edited by CALICO

I just had it out for a run this morning and had to take the nearside back shocker off again and turn it round as the tyre was just catching the spring carrier when turning sharp left. 

So going by that, I only have a few mm in there as it is. 

Anyone want a set of 17" wheels?!  :D

I think I'll try and sell the wheels and be a bit more sensible about buying the next set, I want to fill the arches a wee bit but without much of a spacer. 

Probably better off with a narrower wheel with offset <40