New VR6 owner needs ome advice

Ok , so my son has just scrapped his Mk3 8v GTi (i really dont like using the term GTi on these cars!) and after driving my old Daewoo around for a bit, has just purchased a Golf VR6.

I have owned a number of MK1 & 2 and a VR6 and aircooled in past, I think my VW love has rubbed off on him.

The VR6 he has purchased has been garaged for last 3 years, a late 1995 model, picked it up this morning and drove it to MOT station (15 miles).

At one point it got very hot and over heated, I stopped on side of road, I was assuming water pump.  The tope rad pipe was very hot, lower was cold.

As we were not far from MOT station and in quiet rural Suffolk, I let it cool down, finished the journey, no over heating.

At the MOT station it ran fine with no problems, also drove nicely home after MOT.

Failed MOT on emmissions and couple of lights not working!

So question is ...why the overheat?

I thought maybe as it had been sat for so long, thermo switch failed/or water pump on its way out.

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Ian

could of been sticking thermostat ,  could of had a small air lock from standing and spat it out ..  ( check coolant level) .  if left running the VR6 should have twin stage fans so you should see them cutting in at least once.  maybe a faulty fan control module ,,  lots of possibilities time to do some diagnostics and fault finding.

nope ..  under the coil pack at the back there is a water pipe that will be touching the rear ignition lead...  if you do it in the dark with bonnet open you'll see it jumping ...  cable tie the water hose slightly out the way and it will disappear .. ;) if thats u owe me a pint  ;)