Hi guys,

I have a 1991 mk2 with a VR6 OBD2 lump in it, recently it doesn't seem as quick, sounds like it's going well but seems to take a long time to rev, possible misfire?? I have search high and low for a diagnostics port but can't find one anywhere so can only assume whoever did the conversion chopped it off so unfortunately no VAGCOM help! I don't know of any relatively local vr mechanics in the midlands and can't really afford to pay pricey labour costs to fault find as I could spend hundreds and get nowhere with bill and Ben at budget auto's lol any advice or directions to a decent mechanic with vr experience would be much appreciated. I have changed the plugs and oil and given a general service but has made no difference, help desperately needed! :(

Has spluttered a few times on first start up but other than that no. Starts and drives no probs just struggles to keep up with regular traffic unless ur ragging it. Seems to take around 6 seconds to get from 2000 rpm to redline in second gear with full throttle which is a lot longer than usual, also the mpg starts at less than 10 when first started but once done a few miles go'a up to around 17 but never any higher, is the MAF the box on the air intake just after the filter before it joins the throttle body and if so is it possible to clean this? Would the lambda cause similar symptoms? Also there us an intermittent whistle from the engine bay when under acceleration, have checked for obvious leakage but can't see anything, is there a specific way of pressurising the intake system to check continuity if airflow? Also where might I find the ecu as I may then be able to find the diag port and get it plugged into VAGCOM :)

theres only a blue and black one and a third is just a blanking plate, definately no ecu in skuttle so really baffled now, have ordered temp sensor so will see if that helps, any idea where the lambda sensor would be (exhaust manifold yes) but where? Ive searched and searched but no luck, thanks for replies fellas, will let u know if the CTS does the trick :)

im in bromsgrove pete :) have ordered temp sensor, hoping that will do the trick as its so inexpensive, new MAF is 150+ so would idealy like it plugged into VAGCOM before spending that sort of cash if thats not the issue, today the car has started to splutter as if running out of fuel and cutting out every time i came to a stop and idling, this may point more towards the MAF tho so if no joy with temp sensor i will search for a used one

Edited by MrMK2-VR6

If you search for a maf it has to be the right kind there's 2. Hot wire and hot film, hot wire are cheaper and more available as they were used on more models, the hot film (which my OBD2 has) it looks like a microchip sticking out of the bottom and they were only for this engine, the 2 types are not interchangeable. So get the right one.