VR6 Timing chains after head gasket change

Hey all,

Hoping someone on here can give me some advice on this,

I've just had to replace the headgasket on my 93' VR6, so the heads on now and I've come to time up the head, I've got all the timing marks aligned, the Intermediate notch is in view, the cam alignment tool is in place and the engine is at TDC

So I've put the chains on, temp fitted the cam cover with the tensioner bolt in place and tested the timing and sure enough after 2 turns of the crank the came alignment tool slotted back in place no problems, but it felt like there was a slight bit of slack on the chain on the sprocket closest to you, where the dizzy would be.

Asked a friend to give a hand as he's a mechanic, he came round and fitted the sprockets again but had the chain tight, turned it over again and the cams look to now be out, probably by a tooth or so.

My question is, should there be any slack on the tensioned side? and has anyone got any tips on fitting them and keeping the chain tight.

Cheers

So is a little bit of slack Ok on the guide rail side? I don't mean really loose but just a slight bit? I know there is not meant to be any slack between the two cam sprockets but I was under the impression the chain on the guide trail has to be tight. I just want to be sure before I start to assemble everything back up to be turned over.

Cheers for the reply's 

Hopefully I do, I'm going to spend the day tomorrow with it I think.

My plan is to remove the Cam on 1,2,4 and get the engine timed up again, finger tighten the sprocket and test the timing and make sure the slack is on the tensioner side and there's no slack between the cam sprockets, if it's all well then I will nip up the sprocket bolts and hopefully it will run ok... hopefully  :unsure:

Right, so I've been out and done it again today, I removed the sprocket of cam 1-3-6 and adjusted the crank to dead on TDC, with the intermediate sprocket notch in view, fitted the chain so all the slack is on the tension bolt side and fitted the cam cover and bolt to test the timing, and this is how I left it so far

Why do you have a single intermediate cog and a double chain?

That's a damn good question... I know the chains/clutch were done in 2009 before I got the car, I wonder if they got the wrong chain kit at the time and whoever has done the work has just put it on anyways... I don't know what to do now, to swap this out for a single chain I would need to pull the engine/gearbox to either change the intermediate socket to a duplex one, or swap out the sprockets and top chain for a simplex chain right?