Hello Lads,

I'm thinking of buying a VR6, at 100k + mileage is there some pretty standard maintenance work which should have been carried out?

i.e. camchain?

the one I am looking at has been stood for approx. 2 years, but supposedly has fsh prior to that.

Forgive my ignorance but I'm new to VR6's, did have a Mark 3 Driver many years back, but I borrowed a VR for a weekend way back and loved it.

Was looking at a Mk 2 GTI originally, but as I preferred the MK 3 as a superior and more evolved allround car, I thought I might take a punt on a VR6 which I think will be regarded as a "classic" a few years hence.

You will hear if the chains are due for replacement they will sound like a jar with marbles in it, at that mileage if they haven't been done and sound not too good it would be wise to do the lot rather that just guides/tensioners, the extent if rust you might find could be hidden on the floor around the body bungs and you might not get to see how bad it could be until you stripped it down a bit.

Obvious checks for leaks are at the crack pipe, t-stat housing and oil cooler, look for pink powdery residue at all hoses etc, the oil cooler may have an oil drip due to old hard seals, which are cheap and easy to renew, there will probably be leaks all round the cam cover gasket, the gasket will just need replacing at about £15.