I've just given up smoking, and my vento just started!!!

'92 vento obd1 141,000 miles.

Getting huge clouds of blue smoke now and again, when i set off from a start, especially if i've been following sunday drivers. Also, when abiding the speed limits, i get a blue haze following me , for a few seconds, but not that often.

I'm using magnetec 5w 30 oil from halfrauds, as told to by VWbolton!!!! Could this be too thin,

Hoping for the best!

oils way too thin for that mileage....get thicker stuff. most people use quantam synta silver (from gsf or vw, 10w40 i think), but i'd be inclined to go for an even thicker oil with your mileage.

worth doing a compression test (both wet and dry) to see what its like...will tell you the condition of your piston rings and valve stem seals.

[ Edited Sun Apr 24 2005, 08:34PM ]

The seals themselves are chep- a couple of quid each.

Basicall to change:- manifold rocker cover amshafts and tappets need to come out.

Special VW tool is used to screw an airline into the spark plug thread (not dropping below 85PSI) This keeps the valve up where theyre supposed to be! :-) then valve srpins are removed and then seals are replaced 1 by 1 and refitting is revesal of removal.....

The longer and more expensive way is to remove the head.......