Milltek system blowing at cat joint -SOLVED-

Hello all, I fitted a new Milltek system a few months ago. Managed to get it to fit nicely with minimal knocking on the beam and straight tailpipe. I have however recently noticed where the front pipe joins onto the cat, even with the clamp done up as tight as it will go, the pipe itself is still lose and you can move it around. I understand the system expands when it hot, but surely it shouldn't be this loose when its cold?

It seems to me the diameter of the pipe is slightly too big, so even with the clamp done up, its not clamping down on the cat. For reference its an obd2 vr with the longer style cat fitted.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to remedy this?

Right, managed to get this fixed without the need of a pipr reducer. I noticed the mikalor clamp supplied with the exhaust wasnt compressing the exhaust pipe enough to create a seal. The other joins on the mid box and back box have a slightly larger diameter where the clamps work fine, but as the join at the cat is a smaller diameter, the clamp physically couldn't allow it to go any titghter.

I orderd from ebay an new mikalor clamp, sized 55mm to 59mm. The front part of the exhaust measured at 59mm so i new the clamp would fit over this and still have room to compress a few more mm to create a good seal, where as the clamps supplied only tighten up to around 59mm. So with the new clamp around the pipe I nipped it up with the impact driver and jobs done, the pipe no longer moves around on the cat and sounds a little nicer too.

Sounds great. you cant go wrong with mikalor clamps :) some of those clamps that come with the kits are not the best.... you can almost benefit from some exhaust fitting paste to create a good seal on newly installed systems :) sounds like you've got it nailed this time though mate, amazing how even the smallest of blows make a system sound different :)