Limp mode and not starting

I recently purchased a m reg corrado vr6 automatic. When the car was used last 18 months ago, whilst driving the car went into limp mode 3rd gear. Once the car was driven home and switched off it would not start again. Because the car does not drive it makes it harder to take to a diagnostic machine. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?. Thanks for any help

Thanks for your advice guys. Diagnostics is my plan for a start. If it is not limp mode, can anyone advise me what has happened when the car shows third gear and does not let you over rev it?. I am just looki g to see if anyone else has experienced this problem and give me any clues to whats happened to the car?. Thanks

The auto box can throw itself into 'safe mode' i.e. third forward and reverse only, usually as a result of it getting inputs out of range from normal -not familiar with not being able to rev it tho - mine did something similar when a new coil pack was fitted, a couple of days later it went back to normal on it's own. You can drive in just 3rd for a while if you get the engine running- there's no clutch to burn out. If you can't get reverse it's a bigger problem.

Thanks for the above advice. I will check that out. The gearbox was rebuilt 15k ago at the cost of £1170. Because the car wont restart I was thinking along the lines that the car still thinks its in gear and then wont start?. Anyone have any info or ways to check it out?. Thanks folks

I had a problem similar to this once upon a time and it turned out that the immobilizing alarm fitted (no fobs) caused the car to cut out intermittently and then one day, nothing. Having never had an auto this is just pointing out a fault I had once that sounds similar. Removed the immobilizer and hey presto