Anyone know how to free a hydraulic lifter?

Hello all,

I am fairly new to this forum but not to VW's. Am a member on UKPassats... ;) No guessing as to what my other car is then ey... ;)

I've bought a track day car...well it will be by the time I organise the day....Its a Dragon Green VR6 5 door....It was pulled off the road in January 12' as it had a sticking hydraulic lifter which is tapping away under the bonnet...

Now normally this happens when you have dirty oil however the car has always been serviced every 6k miles!

Plus...its an ex-police car used by West Yorkshire Police!!! Its very fast but I want to sort out this annoying tapping...

Some people have told me you can take the top cover off, place a block of wood on the hydraulic lifter and give it a whack to free it..........but I'm not sure I'm that brave!! lol

So can anyone suggest anything to free this up?

thank you all in advance,

James

engine is sweet, its just that tapping which has been investigated to be the hydraulic lifter......like I say, a stuck lifter normally indicated that the oil is dirty yet the oil has always been changed every 6 months. The history that car has too is enourmous. Plus it used to below to West Yorkshire Police who have serviced it every 6k miles too in the service book....stamped and all!

Its pretty quiet when the engine is cold but more of a racket when the engine is up to temperature and is hot...

Yep, with a piece of wood or plastic, press down on the tappet in question. If the play is more then 0.10mm before the valve begins to open, then fit a new tappet. Make sure the cam lobe is pointing upwards when you do it as well. If you fit a new tappet, dont start the engine for 3 minutes after fitting it, otherwise the tappet not have filled with oil, and the valve could strike the piston, with obvious consequences.

Oh and you might not get a reply on the forum today becuase there was a christmas meal yesterday, so not sure what condition the Moderator team is in!