Offshore Jobs In Gas and Oil

Hi All. I've been searching on Google for a bit of info about offshore work and how to get your foot in the door. All I can seem to find are bogus sites wanting ~£150 for distributing CV's. Does anyone here work offshore and have any useful links or tips? I'm currently working as a production engineer in a factory, with a bit of mechanical/electrical qualifications and experience behind me, and also part time as a general labourer (7 day weeks atm so not afraid of graft). I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on this career path, as there's not much helpful stuff out there. Cheers!

Sooooo... Step one decide what trade you want... Once you have that down then you can start by chatting to the agencies that supply staff..

You will need special certification in certain trades some of which is sponsored only (like the railways) and some of which you can do off your own cheque book..

You will have to do the survival courses. No options on that and if you google you will find the places that do those courses... then keep them in date of course.

It is a very closed shop so you need to persevier. My old boy used to do it and my younger brother has just started as a roustabout... It took him 5 years hard graft to get off shore...

It 'aint easy and becasue it can be lucrative (trade dependant) nothing is "advertised"... find out which companies supply what and chat to them...

As I said decide what you want firstly otherwise they wont waste their time on you...

As an aside worth popping into a trade show or two or even the recruitment drive things up in Aberdeen as a research visit..

Good luck.

There are jobs advertised on sites like matchtek but the majority are engineering based and they have the pick of the crop due to wages earned.

I have friends who have done this recently and I do have the option of a 7 week entry course.

Remember it is not all in the North Sea. There are plenty of places around the world which if you factor in the "rotation" and tax free income can be very rewarding.

Good point there Bungy. Available world wide and the size of your man parts will come in to play on some of those... LOL

My father (& his mates) have worked everywhere from jungle/desert/frozen wastelands to the middle of various oceans)

One VERY important note... It can affect your relationships if everyone is not 110% in to you vanishing for weeks on end... you travel on your own time and cannot be in the UK for more than a certain number of days etc etc etc ... tax status dependant of course..

Yeah, I've heard about people doing all the courses off their own back, then stories of others who seem to land on their feet by getting a job offer and then sent away before they start, all expenses paid by the oil companies. I have an interview for a Process tech job actually early next month for an oil division of Siemens, so I'm hoping that is half a foot in the door anyway, I'll check out this other spot too, cheers. Does anyone know any of the decent agencies, I don't want to appear lazy but like I said, there's a lot of bogus stuff out there! By the way, I have MASSIVE man parts...

Cheers for the advice guys.