Morning all,

I've just replaced a gearbox in my VR6, unfortunately the box I've put in seems to be a right dog! I can't get 1st gear without trying to put it in reverse and selecting other gears seems to be almost impossible!

Has anyone had anything similar or have I done something wrong when fitting it?

Just thought i'd ask before taking it out and replacing it with another box.

Thanks

Before you go pulling out the gearbox, have you re aligned the selector? There are adjustments at the gear leaver and the selector.

If they are not aligned then it wont go in gear easily if at all. Sounds to me like thats your problem. Its not a hard process but can take time to get it right.

Google "VR6 shifter alignment" and you will find a how to.

Based on what little info you have given I could almost bet that is the problem.

Had a little tinker, i move the top cable more towards the firewall and this seems to have sorted the problem with 1st and reverse. It now goes into all gears from 1st to 5th, although 3rd and 5th are quite close. however on the way down from 5th to 1st it seems to miss 4th but it is there if i am careful.

The bottom cable seems to move quite freely (the one with the nut on the top). Is this normal?

Hi Ollie

Clarify where the problem is first before attempting any adjustments by disconnecting the shift cabling and jacking up the vehicle front now have some one start the vehicle and with them operating the clutch put the gearbox up and down thru its gears noting any issues on the way ie 1st 0k 2nd ok 3rd poor 4th ok etc etc when your satisfied the gearbox is ok proceed with adjustments.

Stephen

Ps you,ve checked and topped up the gb oil presumably ?