I need some help please,

Just bought myself another VR6 Bought it with knocking noise!! Real good deal as body is immaculate.

any hows, my first guess it was one of the big end busted off, so i remove the sump and checked underneath, All was good nothing broken and no bits in the pan. (the knocking was really loud and it sounded that engine was not running on all six that's why a assumed it was one of the big ends or conrods that snapped) So after that i removed rocker cover to check cams. Nothing broken but the timing chain was really loose, I could lift it and mover over about the teeth on the cam sprockets :-( How can I check if the Tensioner bolt is working?? that's all i can think is broken, Will be removing the head tonight, i know i have few bend valves!!! If anybody has any other ideas why my timing chain is so loose so i can check please.

also its a 1995 VR6 with coil pack but i think its a OBD1 due to throtel body not sure yet due to this being a South African Import

Will keep you updated with progress tonight.

Thank you

Both the upper and lower tensioners are oil fed and afraid the lowers a gearbox out jobby to check, but presumab,y your talking about the upper only pull the tensioner bolt out completely and measure its length ,my lumps in bits at the mo so ill measure mine when home from work this evening to compare with yours.

Seeing your pulling the head anyway this will give you chance to view the upper guide and chain blade, if these are broken or worn to excess you may have jumped a tooth or two in witch case you may have head and piston damage, but lets take one step at a time Jack.

Stephen

Ps got spare used std pistons if you need any F.O.C

i have taken the head of, luckily no damaged pistons!! but def one or two bent valves, I think you might be onto something with the lower tensioner, Will check manual tonight, the chain was really loose though I could easily move it over about 2 -3 teeth Will put up some pics of the Chain guides let me know what you think? Also you might know I just bought a OBD2 Piston on ebay as i feared the worse would if fit OBD1.

Thanks a mill for your help!!

unsure about the piston but wouldnt have thought they were any different.

also rotate the crank and make sure theres no tight spots (possible bent rod)

but you defo need to look at the chains and guides and find where the noise was from.

also once youve got new valves check there run in the guides and if tight or sloppy knock em out and fit new £4 each and while your there you may as well fit new valve seals £20.

stephen