I need some help if possible my mk3 golf vr6 has been perfectly fine until i stopped to get fuel on the way to rtts on friday obviously turned the car off got back in it to drive off went to start it got ignition lights but nothing else tried wacking starter but nothing it feels like the barrell isnt turning all the way but occasionally it will but still nothing just wondered what else i could be i was think starter or coil pack just wondered if any of u guys had had this issue before cheers rob

On the end of the barrel there is a switch held in by a couple of screws this is the ignition switch. It has a female part in which the male part of the barrel pushes into then when you turn the key this turns the switch. Now the barrel is only what looks like die-cast ally and is fragile really. This may have broke.

Coilpack i would say my vr6 was running perfect and had same problem turnt ignition off and wouldnt start again tried everything and finally started when i changed coilpack but mine is obd1 maybe a dif fault if u have obd2