Hi guys after some time wanting i have finally got a VR6.

Its an early golf 5 door and so far i am as happy as larry with it. I do have some questions though.

What kind of fuel consumption can i get? The computer shows 28-31mpg on my 30 mile trip to and from work when driven carefully. How accurate are the computers as 2 days journey has used half a tank which seems allot less than 30mpg more like 20.

Also i had a misfire cured with plugs and leads but there seems to be some lag in throtttle response. Some people tell me its the lambda sensor and to loop it. others tell me to remove the air filter or drill the airbox. If its the lambda how do i loop it?

Finally antennas. The original bee sting one is ropey. Will a Mk4 one fit onto the amplifier?

Cheers guys.

R

Hello mate,

28-31 mpg sounds about right to me, my puter seems accurate enough, they do drink fuel as you've probably realised by now but as for half a tank of fuel it depends whether you mean 60 miles per day or 60 miles for bothdays...

I would think that 120 miles could be about right for half a tank depending how you drive it but still i'd expect a few more miles than that, 2 day journey to work for me is about 160 miles and that's about half a tank, i'd keep a close eye on it and try and work it out with out using the the puter, just bear in mind that if you boot it, the VR'll sup down a gallon in no time :P

All VR's are well laggy below 3k revs, that's just how they are (this is unless you get a shrick manifold fitted) so get used to that hades, as for drilling the airbox, i'm not sure mate, i wouldn't, but i would remove the airbox cone or even better get a decent induction kit like a BMC CDA

Later mate and enjoy...

Hi again all.

I plan to check the MPG the old fashioned way when i get a full weeks average driving to do. Easter will break this weekend up and i know this weekend my normal driving style will be out of the window :)

I knew the 2.8 would be thirsty but coming from a 1.8 Renault 19 16v which struggled to get 26mpg and averaged 22 anything over that is fine.

cheers for the replies.

R