Rotrex Corrado Vr6.....Finally mapped :)

Thought I'd put up some pics of my Corrado. I've been on the corrado forum for a while and thougth id copy this across, ive only lurked about here but never posted much. I owned a previous corrado, an aqua blue g60. I loved it but sadly had to sell it to fund travelling around the world for a year. Now I'm back and settled i picked up this 95 twilight violet pearl effect vr6 on 145k.

It already had a bit of work, on lowered springs with standard shocks, Mille miglia Porsche replicas finished in black with the diamond cut rim. Hid kit fitted and raid steering wheel, painted manifold and colour coded engine cover, Miltek exhaust and it did have some smoked rear lights but not to my taste so purchased the all red rears. The bodywork is very tidy, it's had some paint, there's no stone chips on the bonnet etc but the rear bumper does need respraying and there a few spots on the roof that need touching up. Although I may have a plan to get the roof covered in black vinyl?

The engine had a full top end rebuild approx 20k ago costing 1300 and has had a new coilpack, magnecor leads and few other bits. I took a risk picking the car up as I knew it needed a bit of work to make it right hence getting it home then having the radiator blow so a brand new Vag one was put in last week, and it's just had an immobiliser fitted as it was previously removed.

Bits I've got planned are to have the rear bumper sprayed, poss get the roof covered in vinyl black, fit fuel filter and some coilovers I've bought and I'm having some dramas at the moment trying to decide whether to fit some modernlines I've just bought but thinking the fronts at 9x16 will be too wide :( If I can get them fitted I'd sell the Porsche reps as although they are nice not my cup of tea, also after a clean today the abs light has just come on so something else to fix! Never ending list, it does sound gorgeous though and love the vr burble, although I'm finding myself with a bit if a heavy right foot as unlike my G60 that had torque all over the place this only gets going really above 4k when the engine just sounds awesome, but Im findin myself nudging the speed limit too often just to hear the engine purr,

here it is with the standard lights, has now been de-wipered too

8c494342.jpg

2bbebc04.jpg

f7f584de.jpg

4ae4236f.jpg

093c4ab6.jpg

9d735631.jpg

2ebfd7bf.jpg

and a trial fit of the schmidts

4a54ae52.jpg

00af2b42.jpg 8) 8) 8)

I was waiting ages for toyo 205/40s to become available so being impatient i bought some nankangs. I know they're not the best tyre but didn't want to wait any longer and and dont drive like a lunatic as much, so Scmidts fitted wrapped in 205/40 rubber. had drive round the block and some slight rubbing on bumps.

May not be to everyones taste but here's few early pics

cc9733d9.jpg

7e2cbf48.jpg

b7ec7112.jpg

And front and back

d658cf9f.jpg

3d90bda9.jpg

Will prob look to get the arches rolled but see how it drives for a little bit first :) oh and fitted a BMC cda too...oh the sound!

02f56304.jpg

Bought a few bits for the car over Xmas.

Not massively Into music in the car, i love my tunes but also love the VR soundtrack having the window down, so i wanted to keep it all standard using the factory locations and keeping it minimal. i bought some jbl gto 6x4 rears, inphase 5.25 components up front and an alpine iPod headunit.

10cb5d13.jpg

Inphase speakers seemed to have good reviews on the net and they were pretty cheap so i thought id give them a go ,plus i liked the look of the yellow woofers 8)

dcb1d89d.jpg

349fd3ac.jpg

Fitting the 6x4s required quite a bit of trimming from the original mounts but after some hack sawing they fit pretty snug and give a much more refined sound in the back now. its far from thumping bass, just tight and punchy.

5f713f00.jpg

drilled out the old tweeter and used the factory mounts in the dash, pretty pleased how well they went together

aafc36d2.jpg

and i like the subtle glimpse of yellow through the grills, gives a nice contrast to the black leather interior

dcbe47b4.jpg

1a6366a5.jpg

treated the engine bay to a 6 branch too, was in two minds whether to leave it as is, or wrap it but as nice as it looks and it was a shame to cover it up i bught some wrap and covered it up to keep heat down and keep the exhaust gasses flowing faster.

52ad161d.jpg

d977a1f8.jpg

1254fd5e.jpg

The wrap was such a #### to fit, i wanted to try and get it as perfect fit as possible but the fact i was wearing a short sleeve t-shirt and no gloves didn't help! the fibreglass made my arms itch and from soaking the wrap to fit it well and let it dry and tighten, my hands and fingers were black and took days of scrubbing to clean up! all sorted now tho and got a friends mechanic he's used for his storm to fit the manifold, top notch bloke and sorted out a slight knocking too i had from the cat on the heat shield

Decided to be adventurous and instead of getting the roof painted with the rear bumper I opted to go for a wrap look. I initially wanted gloss black but it would suffer from swirls quite easily so i went for a durable carbon wrap. I was dubious about it looking chav but it's come out well, the finish is very neat and tidy too.

86f3a8ed.jpg

9fd8743d.jpg

The pictures don't do it justice to be honest and it does look better in the flesh. I also took the roof runners out and sanded them down and sprayed them and did the same with the aerial base

Next up is respray whole rear and delete the tow eye in the bumper :)

The most recent change, ive pu the bumper on hold and as much as i loved the wheels they were impractical so i purchased some more sensible wheels, at least untill i get my rear arches rolled then ill be buying them back ;) anyway bought some cheap oz ultraleggeras, sanded them down and sprayed them matt black, then put some rubber on. They're 7x16 so no issues with scrubbing at all. not the low wide look of before but more of a stealth/racing look. they'll do for the time being while i have the schmits up for sale.

Also had the car serviced and opted for some 15w/50 oil. nice and smooth now and gave the battery a charge. think it needs upgrading soon to a 63a one.

c166dc8d.jpg

78bad1f3.jpg

dbf8df91.jpg

4f02a14d.jpg

fb31a836.jpg

5f4e28d0.jpg

Hopefully when funds allow ill get round to having the rear end sprayed and treat the car to a full clean and polish as ive been lazy lately and not polished/waxed it and its starting to show by the lack of shine :(

• 6 months later...

So been busy of late, have spent my bonus on a few goodies for the C. I have the rotrex that Dave was selling on here, also purchased some 312s and some mk4 rears. Going to look at getting some new oil and a filter and painting the calipers etc.

once i get round to doing all of this ill get some pictures up of the rotrex kit etc :)

• 3 weeks later...

@ lukey. Yeah I just wanted a budget set and these had good reviews, and they look good behind the black grills. They have a decent enough punchy sound too :)

On to the charger install, pics are long overdue but I'm trying to sort out mk4 rears first.

Ive just received the new charger oil and finalising the last parts before I install my rotrex kit. Have a few questions tho as to the pipe work on the throttle inlet.

I'm planning on blanking off the PVC hose with a breather filter but what happens with the plug that connects into it and the holes that will be left open?

Also the charger set up has a metal hard pipe so what happens with the pipe marked by the arrow and the hole it will leave? Puzzles me why so many hoses need to be interlinked? But then again I'm no mechanic.

Also I was told the re circ valve I have needs a vacuum hoses connecting to the top of. any ideas how this can actually be done.

I sure my mechanic will bje ok with it all but I just wanted to be as clued up as I can be when I pop up with all the kit.

And last q, I will need to have the maf extended so I can fit it in the wing, I presume some wire will just need to be soldered into place :)

Thanks for the help

490c9065.jpg

eece46be.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The plug can be left, it's not used in this country (I think it is to do with American emissions?). The hose that 't's' into the breather is just the breather from the petrol tank, which goes to the throttle body. Just replace with a straight piece of pipe. The black hose with the arrow pointing at it is your isv (idle stabilising valve), which you will need to keep! There should be a take off on the charger setup for this.

Use 1 of the ports on the none return valve on the brake servo vacuum feed, for your recirc valve.

And yes, just extend your maf wires, use heat shrink to keep an air tight seal around your joints, as we all know how finicky mafs can be!

Cheers paul,. the rotrex hardpipe has one hole in it so i might have to try and see if i can get this connected up to the isv pipe then? not sure it will work tho as the hole is small and only seems like a small screw outlet?

Ill make sure the maf is sealed corectly and blank everything else off etc?

The hard pipe has the one outlet for the recirc valve. Can't help to much as stuck in Austria lol with shit connection

As if being in Austria at probably the best VW event in the world has a downside lol.

Hmm, the metal hardpipe just has the one outlet for the re-circ valve and one small screw hole, think maybe for meth injection??

The original intake elbow did have 2 holes, one for the recirc valve to plumb the boost back in and i thought the other was for the crank case breather? i am not using this intake elbow tho as it was worn and i have bought a new metal t piece for the re-circ valve?

Ive never come across this isv pipe issue in all other peoples rotrex installs? is it just an obd1 issue? Surely rotrex wouldnt have just forgot about this when making the kit?

If i must have this isv pipe that is marked by th arrow routed into the intake pipeworkk i might have to buy another silicone t piece and plumb it in??

Hel[p is much appreciated as i only have basic knowledge and all these other pipes confuse me?

Right, if i ust have this isv pipe ive bought another silicone t piece so im hoping to connect that on the end of metal intake pipe and TB inlet so i can then attatch the isv pipe to this...in theory :)

what does this isv pipe, help regulate revs??

Thanks for the help

• 2 weeks later...

So last few days have been emotional. Being optimistic we started the rotrex install last Friday in a hope to drive down with ramsey on the Sunday but a whole host of issues. Ant it was no where near ready so I was gutted to miss the ccgb national day.

Anyway in short it's alive! Sort of. It's all been a steep learning curve for me but I love to learn about how stuff works

The install was a pain, I had an old bracket I believe thus we had to attach it and take it off numerous time to get all of the pulleys lined up, shave a few mm off of the block as it was fouling the bracket and then one of the threads on the block gave way so we then had to helicoil (sp) in a new thread. In the end after a few late nights its all on.

It's all very tight With the rrfpr, rotrex oil canister and intake pipes. We tried to keep it all as neat as possible and route vacuum lines for the rrfpr and re-circ valve around the engine bay and out of sight :)

The rotrex metal hardpipe has no inlet for the isv pipe, I thought this could be deleted but I was correctly told its needed, so I bought a silicone t-piece and we cut down the isv pipe, connected it back up and then plumbed the isv into the t-piece that was between the tb inlet and intake pipe outlet. The isv hose was smaller than the 25mm t-piece outlet but we fitted a small section of the isv hose around the plastic joiner and this was then a perfect fit and allowed a tight seal.

Initially we tried it with the re-circ venting to atmosphere, do not attempt this. It would not idle, the engine was fuelling for the air metered by the maf, but then most of it was being vented when the tb was closed, so massive over fuelling and no idle.

We then used the old intake pipe that came with the kit that had an outlet on the 90 degree elbow. I didn't want to use this as it was old and I had bought a nice shiny t-piece for the re-circ but there is no way enough space to have this and a silicone elbow coming off of the charger. So I cleaned the old pipe, wrapped it in some new silicone tape and plumbed it in.

Now there was another problem, I idled fine but when we drove it it was awful, the re-circ pipe was collapsing as it was only some cheap vacuum pipe. So limped home, replaced the re-circ pipe with a wire reinforced piece and I reset the ecu.

After a drive last night it's certainly got some more power :) but too much I think. I've read that the maf is good for about 280/300bhp and has a 5v resistance for airflow.

When I drive under part throttle its ok, but as soon as I open throttle at about 3.5/4k revs the engine wans to jump out of the bay. I suspect the maf is peaking at its 5v limit and shutting down the injectors. Am I correct?

The car is very drivable up until I open full throttle, I think the charger is maxing the maf airflow so my question now is how do I resolve this?

I've read a few bis on maf clamps, but then any air above the 5v limit is not accounted for? Is this sensible?

I've heard c2 mentioned but I'm not sure what that is?

Or do I need a full remap and new injectors?

Or can a 4" maf be used but then I'll need new software to match I'm led to believe?

As always help is much alpreciated on getting it to run perfect :)

Here's the pics so far, we ran out of time to fit the 312s so hoping this will be done sometime next week :)

312s were already in very good condition, just not keen on red calipers

84bee35a.jpg

0abd52d2.jpg

Smooth gold :)

c3bf60ae.jpg

cc13481d.jpg

7e1f4ea9.jpg

mk4 rears painted blue

2e16ad3b.jpg

Lick of gold, not a perfect finish but happy enough

7b8a7b9a.jpg

Bundle of items

94b89552.jpg

Rotrex c30-84

49b38a6b.jpg

Gold bracket

993234e4.jpg

Metal ccr intake pipe

7971f0bd.jpg

Thought I'd buy a new filter for piece of mind

efb93383.jpg

Braided hoses, cnc spacers and high tensile bolts

ac0ba43b.jpg

Ready to start

d561a19b.jpg

So first problem, having to grind a few mm off the block as I seem to have the old style bracket thats not quite a direct fit

bc987b9d.jpg

• 3 months later...

Small update, been collecting parts for a while to finish off the charger install. Had my 312s and mk4 rears in the boot and decided to get them installed in prep for getting the car mapped

Had some trouble bleeding the brakes as has been discussed before. There is a lot more pedal travel than before but once they bite the braking force is immense :) they are certainly an improvement and don't fade after a second or two like the 280s, they just bite harder and throw you forward in your seat.

Painted them smooth gold to match the charger bracket and intake pipe :)

Standard 280s

dbf8df91.jpg

Audi TT 312s

D77D965B-3601-4900-8660-F15F3ACF9269-4999-000006616224B6AB_zps6d29e951.jpg

835F6BF8-FF5C-4DD4-A81C-647B33210256-4999-000006619421BE5E_zps1e26f522.jpg