Well I've had this exact problem before but its reared its ugly again, this time with vengeance. The car starts then immediately stops, immobiliser I hear you cry with tired voices, I agree however here is the twist. I bought an ecu with the immobiliser removed, or so I was told and same thing. I have tried my original transponder, an obd2 transponder, 2 different halo's with 2 different key chips and nothing. The car is a 95 Corrado VR6 converted to obd2.

I have ran vagcom on the car and firstly it came up with error code 01176 - Key (65-10 - Unauthorized - Intermittent)

I have then swapped over the ECU to the one with the immobiliser removed and it has come back with

01177 - Engine Control Unit (65-10 - Unauthorized - Intermittent)

Have searched all over but nothing has come back, anyone have any ideas?

Lo m8

Obd will read Unauthorised as you,ve nothing there to read which is the default obd response.

What dies when the imobilser kicks in ?

a) ignition ie no spark

B) fuel ie nothing at the rails

c) starter ie does,nt turn over

Stephen

Ps im new to the vr6 (not the engine) but will assist you where possible

Not sure what dies to be honest, just starts then cuts out after a couple of seconds. Think the ECU just cuts everything.

I've read somewhere that you need to go into the ECU settings in vagcom and change it so it recognises the key but I only have vcds lite so can't change settings :( Just seems strange that I have an ecu with an immobiliser removed and still cuts the engine. Almost seems like i've been ripped off and sold a bog standard ecu

Lo M8

To be sure it is the ecu thats at fault you need to Eliminate the ignition and fuel system, then we can look at the ecu,s control functions it could be a number of things within the ecu causing your problem more than likely the RFID halo reader etc etc .

Also please post an accurate description of the timescale of events.

Thanks

Stephen

Stephen

Well the car has been sat for a while (getting a respray) but I'll try.

Basically I converted it to obd2 from very late spec corrado obd1 (CP ECU with immobiliser), so left the immobiliser on. A couple of weeks later I parked up in town, turned the engine off then went to turn it back on and it wouldn't start.

Sprayed all the terminals with wd40, even the earths to make sure all the connections were ok. After that I bought an ecu with the immobiliser removed, plugged it in and same thing. Unplugged it and plugged the original ECU back in and started fine and ran fine for about a month.

This is the bit im not too sure on, the battery went flat so I charged it up and plugged it back in, im not 100% sure but I think this was when it started playing up again but a couple of days ago I found out that my mate had lost the chip in the key around that time. I swapped the transponder over with another chip matching it but still nothing. Tried it with both ECU's but still nothing.

Hmm

Disconnecting the battery should,nt have caused any fault to the ecu,s unless connected whilst the ignition is on so you can probably rule this out.

Is there any way you can test both ecu,s/transponder/halos on another engine setup ?.

Failing that you,ll need to obtain a third ecu setup in order to prove the other two faulty ?.

Stephen