Can you replace big ends without removing engine

I have a big end bearing starting to go, on my VR6 (in a MK2) This I believe happened due to running with low oil. oops.

I was speaking to a friend this morning, who said sometime it is possible to replace the shells by simply removing the sump and working along one at a time. Is this possible on the VR6 engines at all, and if so does anyone have any kind of tips, or a how to on this please.

Thanks.

Lo M8

You may need to polish the crank journal before fitting new shells if your unlucky and have marred the journal surface, if you have dont just fit new shells or you,ll be visiting your crank again very soon !!! instead get a strip of 1000,s.1200,s emery paper oil it up and polish out ant imperfections.

There a doddle to fit as they have locating tongues just use a little vaseline to stick one half to the upper conrad section as you push it of the crank then pull back down into place and add the end cap, you,ll get the idea when you turn into a fruit bat to work upside down lol.

Stephen

ps i have torque settings but im not in work till tommorow so will post em then unless another member posts first

Chances are both the big ends and mains have had the same usage, so it becomes false economy to do just the B/Es as you,ll more than likeley need to replace them very soon anyway and there just as easy to do, just slacken all the end caps first this will allow you to slide in/out the new/old shell easily, use plenty of clean oil when fitting.

Stephen

Well I just replaced the big end shells, this is the first time I have ever done anything like this and didn't want to jump in to deep.

It was actually a fairly easy job to do, took about 2 hours all in, half an hour of that was trying to remove a sump bolt that had rounded, grrrrr.

Going to fill with oil tomorrow after I source a sump gasket and see what happens.

I believe that I found the one that was knocking as when I removed the big end cap, there was noticeably more oil in between the shell and the part of the crank that it bolt around (sorry don't know the name for this part) Indicating to me to be more clearance for the oil to gather in... Does this make sense?

I'll start a new thread for this, but if anyone reads this before hand, then an answer would be great. I need to get a replacement gasket for the sump, now Euro Car Parts have quoted £25ish and it's in stock, Hlafords have quoted around £8 and it's a two day special order part. Will the Halfords item be inferior? Also do I just replace the gasket and tighten or should I use some kind of gasket sealant as well?