Sorry to bring this up, I know that its been talked about a lot

Basically today I started to hear a loud knocking, and after some research it confirmed why worries that it is the timing chain.

I see that there are 2 chains to replace and I've found this how to guide very useful http://www.vwforum.com/forums/f14/vr6-timing-chain-40670/

However I've read in a few places that some people chose to only replace usually the top chain. I'm a bit short of money at the moment and cant really afford to do them both and would much rather just do the one if i can get away with it. Is there anyway of somehow knowing (without taking the engine apart) if both belts need replacing or is it always one which needs doing? because I dont want to have to buy all the new parts to replace both when only the top one needed doing.

Also with the link provided, just to double check it is for the correct engine, I have a 93 vr6 vento, ob1 I believe

And if anyone is in the Maidstone/Kent area who fancys helping for some cash then let me know!

Thanks for replying. If you could lend a hand it would be much appreciated, obviously I'd pay but I cant afford the £60 p/h garages charge and I dont have the confidence to go it alone!

I do know my way around cars once I know what I'm doing its just as I've never done anything so major I dont want try it and screw up.

I suppose doing both of the chains would be the safe bet, I was talking to a guy who lived opposite where I got it recovered who had a mk6 polo vr6 conversion who said he did his for £150 for the parts and then labour on top. does this sound about right? and where would you suggest getting the parts from as Ive had a quick look online and cant find anything

Also do you have the space to do it at yours? We recently knocked down our garage :(

its just so happens im the man for the job done a one or two sets of chains and i live in gravesend .....

its normally the guides that give out and break up mate so it is better to be safer than sorry .....

One or Two how Modest

Get onto JP Automotive for the gear www.jpautomotive.co.uk