Gearbox 1st noise and reverse thud

Hello,

VR6 2.9 synchro mk3 here. Question is when in 1st geari can hear an additional whirring sound that increases with the rpms.

Mechanic says it's probably because 1st gear it's more worn out than the others and probably also the "showoff" gear as in : " let me show you how fast this car is accelerating " :P .

Should this worry me ? It's fine other than this.

And when selecting reverse I can ussually hear a deep thud. I don't hear it if I select it slowly.

Thanks,

Mike

I dont know about the 1. gear but it actually says in your instuctionmanual for the vr6 that you should select reverse after the car has been stationary for a couple of seconds.

It also says that you shouldnt have your hand on the lever when not changing gears (resting your hand) that may wear the syncro rings :).

I understand. I didn't know that since I'm now the first owner, i've just bought it actually. Thanks for the advice. So is your car making the same thuding noise if you don't wait to shift into reverse ?

So there may be a problem with the sinchronizers in the box that are worn out ? Can I change them separately or do I need a new transmission for this ? I'm not very tech savvy when it comes to cars :) .

Can I find the car manuals here if I become a premium member ?

Thanks.

Jepp it makes that noise if I dont wait :).

If i where you I would change my gear oil and leave it to that, I have a turbo on mine and I dont plan to do anything to my gearbox before it eventually breaks;).

Ofcourse it depends how high the noise is, but try with new oil first, this is cheap and may be enough.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the answer. Yes I think i'm going to just change the oil for the moment.

What is the oil recommendation for the gearbox ? Is it something special that I should order from the dealership or it's enough if I put the right viscosity in (like the regular oil) ? Do you guys recommend any particular brand ?

One more. If i eventually decide to tinker inside the transmission can I replace some parts separately or the only repair is a brand new trans ?

Thanks!