blown head gasket or cracked head??

i have recently bought an 1998 mulberry highline which i bought with the knowledge of an blown headgasket! and until recently due to bad weather and a lack of time have not had a good look at the engine until to day!!:-| it needed water and a battery charge but started first time!!^o) was running alright for 1/2 mins then white smoke started and went all lumpy! the water went real fast ! now i know it aint going to hang about as its got a definte head gasket leak. with the usual custard in the oil filler cap so it was expected!! but no wher near as fast as it did????!*-) but i couldnt see wher the water was coming from or wher it was going8-| as it was parked on grass so i moved it to the tarmac and waited till it cooled down and filled it agaIn. and ther was water pissing out the back of the engine!!:@ at pressure when running?? i think this is optimistic but is it the gasket or a craked head?

thanks for any help u can offer

stretchline

it may be a core plug gone if its pouring out .

otherwise if there is no visbale sign of leaking ' date=' the main suspect would be the headgasket ..

[/quote']

if this is the problem woyld ther still be oil in the coolant? or is it both the headgasket and a possible core plug?

THANKS

STRETCHLINE

well id strip the head off for the 1 hour it will take ' date=' then you can replace the gasket and have the head pressure tested and skimmed if needed .

[/quote']

Agreed!!!! Pressure test the head to make sure of NO HAIRLINE cracks.

Leaking at rear, sounds like water pissin down by exhaust mani mate!

If you have a few extra bob, u may as well port and polish the head!!

yeah im probly go for a big valve head as it got to be done properly the first time as ive got an attention span of a nat and will not be up for going though an ehgine strip down again!! its now or never??!! so now it is im not interrested on bargin basement shoddy job

thanks for youre help people

STRETCHLINE

Evening

Firstly be careful as i spent hours and a grand doing up my vw vento to find out i had a hair line crack in the block, my engine froze up over winder but had no signs of water leak any where, even after i don the head gasket i was still getting oil in the water, i replaced oil cooler, head gasket, timing chains, rad, heater matrix etc etc and still i got oil in the water..

Turned out my block was cracked internally and you cant see it, when it got hot and the crack expanded you could just see a weeping of oil comming oil and my header tank was full of oil...

Sounds to me like your lucky and its the core plug popped out but you will still need to do the head gasket due to oil in the water..

I have a head that has been skimmed and pressure tested just 4 weeks ago and is 100% pucka, also had the valves re seated and new stem seals fitted.. Has 2.9 corrado cams in there aswell.. Ill do it for £150 posted, just a case of a gasket and new bolts and away you go...

Pm me if needed