PROJECT VENTO - 2.8 VR6 MAJOR REFURB

Hi guys...

Kinda new round here and will prob need alot of help along the way so i thought id start a project thread starting from the very start of it all...

I bought a 1996 vr6 vento off a friend of mine after i quoted him over £1000 to put every thing right he kinda took a deep breat, i handed over £100 and the vento was mine me bing its forth owner, my mate the 3rd, one bloke local to me owned it for 10 yrs the his sister had it for nearly 5 yrs so localy owned car.. Also had climate control and WORKING air con, 17" wheels, stainless steel system, and faded paint work lol.. Im a mechanic and have alot of friends in the trade so im hoping i can pull in a few favours....

100,000 miles on clock, a shot gear box with no first or second, oil in the water, and heater matrix pipes snapped off flush with the bulk head.... Dont ask... my mates way of fixing it lol..

A few pics when i picked her up last friday before starting the engine strip down...

IMG_0070-1.jpg

IMG_0060-1.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0061.jpgIMG_0059.jpg

I began by stripping off the front of the car gaining a bit more access to the engine bay, couldnt pull the front right off as my air con is still pumped up so didnt want to loose the gas...

I had loads of oil in the water and water in the oil, i had the oil cooler tested " times at 150 psi and no leaks so i began the task of ripping off the head thinking id do a simple head gasket job.. Turned out not to be the case..

Engine bay before stripping it down

IMG_0072.jpg

After head removed

IMG_0085.jpg

Was then i noticed the top chain guide had been chewed to pieces, so since the gear box was knacked i thought id have to pull the box off to replace the guides and do the clutch and gear box same time...

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0115-1.jpg

After i had removed the gear box and timing cover i found another horror, the bottom guide was broke in 4 pieces so good job it all came off to be replaced.. a full timing kit was now in order inc chains and tensioners...

Old stuff

IMG_0127-1.jpg

New stuff

IMG_0142.jpg

I then fitted the head back down with a new head set, bolts and gaskets etc, fitted the chains

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

Theni fitted all the covers, fly wheel and clutch

IMG_0154-1.jpg

Today i fitted the new plastic water pump to thermostat housing, refitted the oil cooler and oil filter housing, got my setting bar in cam shafts ready for my last tensioner to turn up tomoz then i can refit the rocker cover and inlet manifold...

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

And last pic is where im at today, need gear box and tensioner and im away, i looked round her for mot and she seams pretty good... Needs paint after engine is up and running...

Sorry if i boared you, comments and thoughts welcomed guys.... cheers, rob....

Thanks mate, thanks to the help of the guys on this forum i managed to press on pretty well today, i only do this in my lunch break and after work for a hour so i dont get a great deal of time on it.. well not as much as id like to any way lol..

Yer if i wasnt able to do the work myself and have a boss good enough to let me keep it inside all the time then the labour cost would be more than its even worth..

Its a straight clean honest car, after engines done and painted she will be good as new...

Yeah mate, dunno why i didnt think of getting one made before, i just measured the rocker cover and cam shafts places made a card board cut out then took it up to cp iron works near my work and got them to cut it out in there press.. Cost me £3 lol, my new tensioner turned up today so i fitted that, fitted the rocker cover, and the inlet manifold.. Also got the front panel bolted back on, head lights, bonnet catch, and bumper support bracket bolted on...

NEED MY GEAR BOX lol, bin waiting a week... this thursday its here then i can road test her and get her mot'd sat morning. :-)

Gear box turned up at luch time today so i got the box fitted in my hour lunch break, then after work i done a couple of hours putting wiring loom in and hoses etc.. wanted to hear it run so i kinda chucked every thing in there at mo will sort it all out tomoz and friday..

Only thing is it seams a bit rattly top end like tappy noise.. Im putting it down to the fack the heads been off and skimmed etc so may take a little while for the tappets to quiet down ?

Its deffo not timing chain, more accross the other end of the engine, only ran it for 2 minz max, but its on clean oil, all chains, guides and tensioners have been replaced, done head gasket with every thing brand new..

Do you think i have any thing to worry about or will it quieten down after a good run...

Cheers

Massive progress lol, got car on her wheels and took it for a test drive all seams ok, first time i ever drove it aswell..

Got a slight oil leak from oil cooler gasket to block, tracking is a mile out, and front disc n pads need replacing...

Got mot first thing tomoz after ive fitted the pads and sorted the oil leak...

Still got a heater matrix to do at some point as this was bust when i bought the car, the hoses are joined up for now because the previous owner decided to chop the pipes off flush with the bult head (twat) lol

Gave her a quick wash too, see pics..

ec395f7b.jpg

40dace8b.jpg

cc9bc4f4.jpg

736a724e.jpg

VR6 on log book mate, and in service book and original sale receipt.. says aaa engine code in all books so deffo a vr6 out the factory...

She passed mot today with just a advise on the rear shocks leaking so well chuffed..

Matrix work starts next week then ill prob tax her end of week all bing well, do i need to de gas my air con system before i remove the heater matrix or can i work around it, just my air con still works and im a tight ass when it comes for paying for gas lol...

Cheers

Few more pics of here on the ramp and underneath..

I done the tracking and i fitted new front brakes, and fitted new gaskets between the oil cooler as mine went heard and was leaking..

Heater matrix starts monday - dont look a nice job plus i have air con :-)

65c050cc.jpg

68de6c66.jpg

f6e5ae7f.jpg