wont start after doing head gasket.

me and my cousin recently did my head gasket. put it all back together and it starts for a second then dies. not sure if we made an arse of the timing or if we put something on the wrong way. were also doing the matrix as it failed and the dash is hanging out. no cables are attached except the ignition one.

a) if the timing is out will it ruin the valves?

B) do u think the cables out off the dash will cause it to not start?

any help will be much appreciated!!!

ok, so checked the timing and everything seems fine to me. put the dash back in and all the switches back on etc. tried starting it again and it runs for like a second then cuts out. if u give it sum gas it will rev up on start up to 4500 revs and then die. sounds tickety wen it starts aswell. also put my cheapo vagcom lead on but it wont work. (worked before tho).

do u think it could be the camshaft sensor? its not that old tho and it worked before i took it apart.

Could be any thing, from fuel pies on wrong way to a sensor not plugged in.. the fact that you have half the car in pieces it could be any ones guess..

Why didnt you do one job at a time like do matrix then do the the head gasket.. youve ripped so much appart it could be any ones guess as to what it is...