More problems help needed please!

Right i have recently had new top mounts (front) and a wheel bearing (o/s front) to my mk3 vr6.Yesterday i went on the school run and on the way home I was getting a crunchy knocky noise from the front side. When i got home i jacked her up and spun the wheels but all i got was a squeak from my pads on the disc. I went out again a few hours later and it got worse so i turned round and came home. I have just had the wheel off and spun the disc and shaft and at a certain point im getting a horrible noise from the gear box end of the drive shaft. I spun the other side and all is smooth. Whats the possibility of the shaft gone or the gear box gone? its all smooth on the n/s. Help please lol

Yeah that definately sounds like a c.v joint.

If you jack the front of the car up, take the wheels off but screw a couple of bolts back in to hold the disc, then start the engine, put it in gear and turn lock to lock. You should hear the clunking!

Why not just buy an inner or outer c.v instead of the whole shaft?

No, as long as you've got a vice handy to hold the driveshaft, it makes life alot easier.

Once you take the driveshaft off, you'll see on the inner c.v, once you've wiped the grease away, a c clip holding it on the shaft. The outer c.v needs to be beaten off the shaft.