Totally lost!!!

Ok so 2months or so ago i was driving my vr6 i pulled over to run an errand, got back in the car and i cudnt find any gears, when i thought id finally found first i ended up going backwards, eventually got it into third and drove home. My initial thoughts were that the cables had gone or stretched watever, so i messed around for a while but to no avail. I called a mechanic friend to cum and take a look and he could select gears manually from the bay but it was very hard for him to do and took about 10mins to find first. Once we found first i figured that it must be the cables so i ordered some replacement ones from this site which by the way was top notch service on Daver6's part( sorry if i got the name wrong). I tried them today and they have the exact same effect or should i say lack of effect as the original cables which now only points me in the direction of the gearbox. Has anyone else had this problem? The clutch is fine and there was no weird noises prior to this happening. Also its nowt to do with loose bolts or adjusting the cable bolts etc ive tried eveything in that area. Just seems weird how it takes so long to select gears manually from the bay so maybe something has gone around the weight part maybe? Any ideas watsoever are welcome and appreciated cos im propa stumped and peeved off cos im payin insurance and tax for a car i cnt even drive at the mo!!

Sorry for the jack a nory. Cheers guys.

• 2 months later...

Have you closely checked everything at the gearbox end. As I had a small break in the plastic clip the connects cable to gearbox. Couldn't see it unless I had a good look.

I can't see it being gearbox as you can get gears by using the weight