Temperature guage question

I have recently upgraded my 8v GTI to a VR6 and am loving the car. However, within the first couple of days the heater pipe at the top of the engine developed a very small hole and the car lost all it's water. I then developed an airlock and had this sorted by the RAC man that came out to me. It's been running ok for about a week since. Then had a big problem with wires burning out at the rear of the dash so sent it to an electrician for repairs. Since having it back it's been great. Runs at 90 degrees on the guage which is where my GTI stopped as well. When I stop in traffic or whereever after abouta minute the VR temp guage raises to 105 degrees before the fan kicks in and cools it back down to 90 degrees. My GTI never budged above the 90 mark even in traffic which has made me wonder if it is normal or not. When the temp raised first I jumped out and popped the bonnet and checked the hoses to see if the thermostat was opening and they were both hot so that's working. Basically my question is is this normal for the VR or do I have a problem.Is there any way of adjusting the temp when the fans kick in or not as I worry when I see the guage going up. Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers